Austin left a rake buried in a pile of leaves in the backyard. Brett discovered the rake while running through the yard with in his bare feet...he came inside stamping a foot print of blood behind him while screaming, "Austin tried to kill me!" It took me a few minutes to figure out what on earth he was talking about because Austin was standing right next to me when Brett came inside. I finally gathered that Brett was certain that Austin intentionally buried the rake so that Brett would step on it and in Brett's mind that was life threatening, therefore, Austin tried to kill him! It took me a good 30 minutes to convince Brett that Austin didn't try to kill him and that he wasn't going to die. I got him cleaned up, bandaged up and calmed down enough to take a nap. As I was rubbing his little head to calm him down I realized that his poor little face was covered in hives! He was so certain that he was going to die that the trauma of that conclusion made him break out in hives! As he calmed down and took a short nap the hives went away. I thought we were going to be able to just call it good with the bandage, but when he woke up screaming his head off 30 minutes later because his foot was bleeding all over again I knew it was a little more serious. Ultimately, his pediatrician said I needed to take him to the ER. He was so brave once he realized that he wasn't going to die! Wayne lent his iPod to Brett to help keep him calm and it served that purpose really well! He was also intruiged with the big trash cans on wheels that they had in the hospital and the fact that his room had a big clock :) The doctor ultimately decided that the risk of infection was too great to seal up the wound so they just cleaned it out, bandaged it up, and sent us on our way. Oh yeah, and Brett isn't supposed to walk on his foot until it heals a little more--in 3-4 days!!


No comments:
Post a Comment